Just some random life updates

Ramadan Kareem nostalgias

 Days are approaching Ramadan. Month of fasting, sharing and  spirituality. I remember my first fast, aged 6 or 7. I forgot that I was fasting when I saw the kulfi cart. I ate the whole kulfi and then was reminded that am fasting. I took this fiqh (Islamic jurisprudence) problem to my Quran teacher. She said   "You are so tiny, you cant be fasting!" I was the eldest of five siblings and always felt mature and responsible. "Show me your tongue", she went on. Am till date not sure what she was looking for. My mouth was moist with kulfi. I guess I eventually figured that eating accidentally does not break the fast. 

My earliest Ramadans were in summers. I remember our lips turning purple with thirst by maghrib. We used to spend a lot of time at my Nanas (maternal grandfather) and iftars  there were with rooh afza syrup drink and mangoes and at times some pakoras. This was immediately followed by goat curry and fresh chapatis with raw mango chutney! 


Last year's iftar share

 (not) Formula one driver

I have avoided learning to drive all my life. And now its time to bite the bullet.  Its still not something that I enjoy. I so not look forward to my driving test. I have read at all those 'positive thinking' pages that talk about   imagining  yourself excelling at what you find difficult. Alright then, lets imagine me, being the bestest driver ever. My husband raised the car chair for me. At least am  starting high. 

How I feel while driving

Baking and me

Stove top cooking has always been my thing. Baking I had never really tried. Since am trying to learn new things, am testing this space as well. If you are judging me for mid life crisis, you are right!  I started off with mainly chicken which turned out fine. Then tried banana bread and cookies. Oh yes, since I am out here trying to impress people today, I sometimes make pizza too. Last time I made a large one and struggled to find people who I could share it with. It was awesome though, with that Pakistani style pizza sauce, pineapple, lots of chicken and cheese. Target next is carrot cake. Someday my friend, someday. 

Chicken bake

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend post-books, movies and thoughts

Weekend update: caterpillars, chais, beginnings and reading snippets

Weekend Post: mangoes, puzzles and more